Monday, November 07, 2005

Books

Was surfing for new blogs today and suddenly came across this very interesting blog about books and how she adores them. Well, I do too and hence decided to Copy Paste her Post and see how I compare!!! So here goes, BTW Please skip if bored or nor interested in books.

Number of Books owned:
About 100, not including my Management/Engineering books. But since I have started working@HAL, the number has been increasing steadily with the main benefactor being Crossword.

Books I recently brought:
Chetan Bhagat’s “One night at the Call Centre” and “War and Peace” by Leo Tolstoy

Last book I read:

Well...finished ON@TCC about 2 nights back.

Books on my Bed-stand as of now
:
Star Wars Trilogy and
Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton(I know this sounds extreme but stop reading if it bothers you). Another Michael Crichton Classic is Andromeda Strain.

One book that I couldn't finish:
Moby-Dick (The Whale) with due appologies to Herman Melville. I know it’s a classic and all but it starts so slow that I could never keep up and always fall asleep.

Five books I cherish:

This is an impossible one. So just putting down the ones that randomly come to my mind (in no particular order).
Pride and Prejudice: A non-detail text, I read even before classes started. One of the best from Jane Austin with amazingly etched characters. Have seen two versions of movies but cannot say that either does justice and the less I talk about Bride and Prejudice, the better.
Love Story: A must read for all romantics and a bad book to have if you like collecting books as this never gets returned when borrowed. And YES, I have cried the first time I read this book and one of the few books I can recite verbatim. Wanna Bet!!!
A Village by the Sea: One of the best books by an Indian author, this Anita Desai book is an another non-detail text I store till date.
The Thorn Birds: by Colleen McCullough is described as “A Coming of age story of a young Australian girl in a forbidden love affair” but I think it’s much more. It talks about family values, life in Australian farms and about the ultimate sacrifice, Man has ever known. A true classic and a must read.
PG Wodehouse’s Jeeves series: Every one of them is as good as the other. A great book to have on long train journeys (have you seen the look on your co-travellers face when you burst out laughing).
Books missing from this list Motorcycle Dairies, Three Musketeers, Harry Porter series, Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance, If tomorrow comes etc etc etc.

Authors I want to read but am too embarrassed to say so:
Georgette Heyer: Well I had read just one short story book by her and was impressed with the language and style coupled with the fact that the tall handsome hero with the soft curls always gets the Virgin Heroine who as you would expect is really beautiful, what if she’s just a kid. The situations were so ripe that they could be scripted into a bolly/tolly/kolly/hollywood movies with the minimum of effort. Wonder why this has not been done!!

Authors I Hate: Shobha De and Arundhati Roy. No reasoning here just a matter of personal choice.

No comments: